marcell wrote:planned future topot's features:
* song arrangement mode - classical approach to have patterns arranged in songs (ie. first loop muting every other time, second loop playing all the time, third playing every forth time....)
* using python (math) methods for changing different osc parameters in time...
These sound very similar to what I've been thinking of trying to implement in an alternative frontend for some time. Some way to predefine some structure to a song but also allow some freedom for improvisation. I was thinking of extending the "patterns arranged into a song" idea by adding something I will call "checkpoints" for lack of a better term. When the song hits a checkpoint that would basically mean "loop over the previous pattern(s) until I tell you it's OK to proceed with the song". Some configurable event (OSC / MIDI) would be that signal to proceed with the song until you hit the next "checkpoint".
That way you could control a complex song with a single button on a foot controller. Something like this as an example:
1. Start with a preloaded click track in loop 1 that everything else will sync to
2. The song starts and immediately hits a checkpoint that says keeps looping the click track in loop 1
3. I sit down at my drum kit and and hit the floor pedal to say I'm ready
4. This puts loop 2 in record mode and continues to play loop 1. After one time through the loop it will automatically end recording loop 2 (my feet are busy on the drum kit) and mute loop 1 (don't need the click track any more)
5. We hit another checkpoint so it will continue to play the drums on loop 2 until I say I'm ready
6. I pick up the bass and noodle around with the drum loop for a bit. Then I hit the foot controller and loop 3 goes in record mode and (just to be crazy) the drums on loop 2 get muted.
7. After a couple of times through loop 1 (that we are still synced to although it is muted) a couple of things happen: loop 3 automatically stops recording and starts to loop itself and the drums in loop 2 unmute
8. We hit another checkpoint and the drums and bass continue to loop while I pick up my guitar