Help setting up midi control in ableton

Using SL inside Ableton Live

Moderator: jesse

ihattwick

Help setting up midi control in ableton

Post by ihattwick »

I'm going back and forth between using abletone and aulab for live performance, but one way or the other I haven't figured out how to set up midi control of sooperlooper using my fcb-1010 and an au instance of SL. Any pointers? There doesn't seem to be much discussion of this in the documentation.
sremington

Re: Help setting up midi control in ableton

Post by sremington »

Don't know if you are having the same problem but you might check out this other recent thread about connecting to a MIDI foot controller --> http://www.essej.net/slforum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26

Cliffs Notes: You need a MIDI patchbay program on mac as described in the docs here --> http://www.essej.net/sooperlooper/doc_midi.html

-Seth
jesse

Post by jesse »

No, do not use MIDI Patchbay when using the AU plugin in a host such as ableton, it will just further confuse matters.

There are two ways to set up the SL plugin in Ableton. The first (and recommended) is to insert it in an audio track, set up your audio inputs and outputs to your liking and set the monitoring to In. Then create a MIDI track which will serve as the midi source for SL, in the output section of that midi track select the audio track that SL is on. Finally, set the monitoring to "In" on the midi track also. You should then be able to receive midi events and do the learn and bindings within SL.

The other way is to insert the plugin on a MIDI track. In that case you need to create a separate *audio* track which you'll use as input and feed its output into the MIDI track containing SL. This becomes more confusing with regard to audio routing in SL, so I don't recommend it.
ihattwick

Post by ihattwick »

Thanks, jesse- that did the trick. Is the setup process in aulab similar? I got it to work in live, but am still working on AUlab. . .