Select Next/Prev Loop - Note On/Off Issue

Talk about your MIDI bindings and controller setup

Moderator: jesse

zenkick

Select Next/Prev Loop - Note On/Off Issue

Post by zenkick »

Is there a trick to binding a note on/off pair to control next and previous loop selections?

I've tried a few midi devices with the same result: note on will select the next/prev loop and note off will select the next/prev loop again. So, each note performs the command twice.

It seems like that command is not interpreting the on/off pair.

For now I'm working around it by telling the binding it's a "Note On" command, rather than "Note".
Freasy

Re: Select Next/Prev Loop - Note On/Off Issue

Post by Freasy »

So what is the problem then? If it works if you tell the binding to be a "Note On" command, at "Note Off" nothing will happen. If you don't bind "Note Off" to anything, you have the note on/off pair. If you want to trigger the command when releasing the button you have to tell it to be a "Note Off" command.
If you choose "Note" it will trigger whether it is a "Note On" or a "Note Off".
zenkick

Post by zenkick »

There is no problem, sir. I'm simply bringing it up because it seems to be inconsistent behavior.

For example, if record is bound to the same "Note", it doesn't start recording when it receives a note on and stop recording when it receives a note off -- it knows how to handle the on/off pair and only triggers one command.

I only wanted to mention it in case it was a bug, or if someone else was confused by the inconsistent behavior, since I couldn't find mention of it in the forum or documentation.
jesse

Post by jesse »

The "Note" option is designed to only pay attention to Note On, unless you do a long press (holding down the note for more than 1 sec or so), in which case the note off triggers the command's long press behavior (usually triggering the command again, so you can press-hold-release to do records/overdubs/etc), or in the case of Undo, it does an Undo All. If when using the Note binding it triggers on release even when you do a quick press/release, than that *is* a bug. I can't reproduce it though...
zenkick

Post by zenkick »

Thanks for the followup.

In the case of Select Next/Prev Loop, it does indeed trigger again on note-off when set to "Note" and doing a non-long press -- at least with my Livid Brain Jr.

When I'm back home in the studio I'll post more details, such as exactly what is being sent (via midi monitor), and screenshots of my configuration.
Pekka

Post by Pekka »

I have somewhat similar issue with my Korg Nanokontrol2. It sends CC messages, on press value 0 and on release 127. When I press and release button I don't get the next loop but it jumps 2 loops forward. I tried to mess with the data range etc. but it didn't help. Is there a way to fix this? Thanks!
Pekka

Post by Pekka »

I assigned Nanokontrol to send notes and changed setting to "note on" so my problem solved. :) But still feels like a bug. Why does Next/prev loop have target/data range settings in a first place?
Pekka

Post by Pekka »

Whoops.. Mainstage doesn't pass notes thru SL, so with Mainstage doesn't work for me...
jesse

Post by jesse »

Yes, I agree that CCs should behave like note on/off too, I will look into that.

So MainStage passes CCs but not notes? WTF Apple?
Pekka

Post by Pekka »

There could be some setting that I don't know of. I'm now building up my loop setup and not sure if I will use Mainstage in the first place. It was a quick test. Perhaps I need to change midi channel settings or something. With AU Lab it worked straight away.
Pekka

Post by Pekka »

Sorry, you seem to have added CC on /CC off in 1.7.0 release so it will solve my problem. But since I'm on OS X 10.6.8 I can't use it yet.