Is osx jack/patchbuddy required to map SL to my controller

Talk about your MIDI bindings and controller setup

Moderator: jesse

Vladdrac

Is osx jack/patchbuddy required to map SL to my controller

Post by Vladdrac »

I'm very new to this computer/music format. I've been trying to use mainstage as my central effect unit. I thought from reading the setup that osx jack was only required if you wanted to run SL independent from mainstage. I"m able to use SL through mainstage currently using my keyboard. Now as I'm trying to set things up with my midi controller (Gio Apogee foot pedal) it seems as though osx jack or patchbuddy is required to for mapping. My head is getting a bit fuzzy from all research I've been doing to try and figure this stuff out. I thought I read that setting up my midi controller through SL was possible using mainstage. Is this true or am I correct about needing osx jack or patch buddy to do this? Thanks.
jesse

Re: Is osx jack/patchbuddy required to map SL to my controller

Post by jesse »

You don't need JACK, it has nothing to do with MIDI. It should be possible to set up multiple controllers in mainstage, but some people prefer to make the bindings directly in SL... in which case you probably do need MidiPatchbay or similar to connect your controller to the virtual midi port of SL. I'm no mainstage expert... I'll let someone else comment (which they may not!) about setting that part up.
Vladdrac

Re: Is osx jack/patchbuddy required to map SL to my controller

Post by Vladdrac »

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad that mainstage is able to do this as I was having a hard time understanding how to use jack os x. I am however a little perplexed as to why I wasnt able to figure out how to do it in mainstage. I thought I was getting the hang of mapping. Mapping my pedal board must be different than my midi keyboard somehow. I'll look at it again. I'm probably just missing a step.