SL 64bit AU release testing

Problems getting SL up and running on a Mac? Post here.

Moderator: jesse

jesse

SL 64bit AU release testing

Post by jesse »

Hey folks, a thousand apologies for how long it took to get this out to you... I was attempting to make the existing UI properly embedded in the AU, and got close but ultimately gave up. wxWidgets is still not suited to the task... it was just a bit too unstable in that configuration. So the existing technique of launching the GUI app is still in place, and it has some advantages/disadvantages as always.

So, without further ado, please test out this new version which includes both 32 and 64 bit versions of the AU plugin:

http://essej.net/sooperlooper/SooperLooper-1.7.1.dmg

I have a strong feeling that this will only work on OSX 10.8.x and above (Mountain Lion and Mavericks), but it has only been tested on Mountain Lion. For those of you on 10.7, please give it a quick shot, and send me the crash logs or Console output when it fails to launch.

Thanks and sorry!
jojaku

Re: SL 64bit AU release testing

Post by jojaku »

WOOHOO!!! you rock man!
taittinger

Post by taittinger »

thank you SO MUCH for 64-bit! this is the best news of the year...
just sent you a donation!
jesse

Post by jesse »

Oops, the GUI build I posted was broken for most people... I will fix it today and repost it, I'll let you know when it is good to try.
jesse

Post by jesse »

OK folks, try this out again (or for the first time!), same link:
http://essej.net/sooperlooper/SooperLooper-1.7.1.dmg

Be sure to test both the new SooperLooper app, and the AU plugins if
you use them.

Please let me know when you have success or failure and what OS X
version you have. People on 10.7 or above, give it a try.
f0m3

Post by f0m3 »

As far as i can say for now it works great on OSX 10.7.5 and on 10.9.1!
Unfortunately i cant do much testing this weekend but i will give you feedback on any bug...
Thank you!
jesse

Post by jesse »

Great, that it actually runs on 10.7 is good news! Thanks for the feedback, I'm going to go ahead and post it on the main page, but keep the feedback coming...
jojaku

Post by jojaku »

So I have this really weird problem with Mainstage 3 and SL. I record a loop using a certain sound...say piano, for example. Loop records perfectly, and starts playing back perfectly. Then I change patches...maybe to a bass sound. ten seconds later, the piano loop i just recorded STOPS cold. Even the clock stops on SL. It's dead. Frozen. Then I go back to the original piano patch on Mainstage, and the loop starts again. I select a different patch, and the loop stops again. I can't imagine this is a bug that no one has found, so I'm really confused. Jesse, any thoughts?
jesse

Post by jesse »

MainStage can be pretty weird regarding optimizing (e.g. not processing) audio paths that it doesn't think are active. Just because you don't have an active audio input driving, it might assume that the effect plugin (SL) doesn't deserve to be run, even if it is still outputting audio! I wonder if it is the way you have your session configured... e.g., does it actually start another SL instance for your new patch and leave the other one there, or what? I'm not that familiar with MS, but if you wanted to post an example session, maybe I can help work out a way to avoid this happening...
jojaku

Post by jojaku »

FIXED IT! I believe your theory is probably spot on. for all Mainstage 3 users: You need to set up SL at the concert level rather than at the patch level. that way, when you change patches, that one instance of SL is still on...that way, it's on all the time, which is what you want. If anyone has discovered a different approach, please let me know.
jesse

Post by jesse »

Great! That sounds like the right solution to me.
jojaku

Post by jojaku »

Help, Jesse! Question for you. I'm using Mainstage 2 and Mainstage 3 simultaneously with your 32 and 64 bit versions of SL. I have finally successfully programmed my FCB1010 to control SL. If either of the Mainstages is on, the pedal works fine. But whichever mainstage i open FIRST...THAT's the only version of SL that functions. The other one doesn't work. I'm using MIDI patchbay, and the strange thing is that EITHER version of SL can be run by connecting my FCB to either version of SL. Let me explain what I mean. Depending on the order of things I open, I can use MIDI patchbay to send MIDI info from the FCB to EITHER SooperLooperAU_in or SooperLooperAU_2_in. Both of those names can control the 32 and the 64 bit version of SL, depending on what is open and what isn't. I also tried hooking up an FCB and a Line 6, thinking two different foot pedals might do the job, but things don't seem to work. I can either control one version of SL or the other...not both. Now if i manually control SL, then both of them work just fine...but i need to use my laptop to control them. But i really would like a controller to be able to control them, since i play keyboards. Do you have any idea of how I could resolve this issue?
jesse

Post by jesse »

I have to ask... why are you running both MS2 and 3 simultaneously?

Do you want the single FCB to send MIDI to both instances of SL? What happens when you make two separate routings in Midi Patchbay, one for sending from FCB to each SL AU instance?
jojaku

Post by jojaku »

great questions. ok...i want MS2 and MS3...although let me say i may change that into Abelton and MS3...either way i want two independent systems...why? because i am in a very dynamic all improv band. i need my left hand and my right hand to be able to play whatever i need them to play at the drop of a hat...so if i need flute in left hand and piano in right, etc...you see what i mean. there are infinute permutations, so it doesn't make sense to create specific patches with different channel strip combos. it's much better if i have two independent programs.

ok so yes i want my one pedalboard to control both instances of SL...although let me say this...i don't think that's the issue...unless i'm misreading this, i don't think even with two pedalboards, it would work. i definitely tried all sorts of combinations on midi patchbay, and i even tried it with two different pedal boards. what i found is: Depending on the order of things I open, I can use MIDI patchbay to send MIDI info from the FCB to EITHER SooperLooperAU_in or SooperLooperAU_2_in. here's the weird part: Both of those names can control the 32 AND the 64 bit version of SL, depending on what is open and what isn't.

so my point is that, the way it looks to me, MIDI patchbay is not making the appropriate distinction between SooperLooperAU_in and SooperLooperAU_2_in. EITHER of those names can control EITHER the 32-bit or the 64-bit version of SL. I'm sure this is not what you intended to be possible. it seems to me that MIDI patchbay cannot distinguish between them. so it arbitrarily selects one, routes it to whichever version of SL it can get its hands on first, and then the other instance of SL is untouchable.

i want to be clear about one point: both instances of SL DO WORK simultaneously! but i have to manually control one of them with my actual laptop keyboard. the problem is assigning an external MIDI controller to control both instances of SL through MIDI patchbay..that's the issue.

I'm very far from being tecnho-savvy, so i'm hope i'm explaining this clearly. if not, let me know and i'll try again. I'm also going to make a donation because you are awesome and i appreciate your patience and help, man :) thank you..