Version 1.6.14 released

Release announcements and other news

Moderator: jesse

jesse

Version 1.6.14 released

Post by jesse »

This release adds some new commands, and fixes some minor issues with AU plugin generic UI support.

http://essej.net/sooperlooper/download.html

- fixes some numeric display resolution for some parameters in AU plugin hosts

- new bindable commands record_exclusive, record_exclusive_prev/next which first end any operations on other loops, then start recording on the specified/selected, or switch to the next/prev then record. exclusive record commands also select whatever loop they are applied to.

- also added record_or_overdub_excl* commands which are the same as above except use the record_or_overdub logic instead.

- added optional press/release logic to commands in AU. look for a new toggle parameter called "Press/release for commands" (in AU plugin generic interface) and
turn it on. Then try out mainstage's press/release button bindings, and set press to be 1, and release to be 0. Let me know.

- Added double tap for the record_or_overdub* commands which does a single UNDO. Remember, a long press of record_or_overdub (note bindings must be used) does Undo All. This makes record_or_overdub variants candidates for one button do-it-all basic looping.

- added command line utility (slregister) that will set up automatic updating of all SL's OSC parameters to the given OSC host and port of your choice.
this is useful when using custom OSC clients in PD/Max, or applications like Osculator (on mac).
jesse

Re: Version 1.6.14 released

Post by jesse »

I haven't tested with Snow Leopard, please let me know if there are any issues for those of you who have it... I have no reason to expect any.
aspersemusic

Post by aspersemusic »

Is this different from the version you posted up on the other thread (tests a,b,c,d i think), or is it the same as the last one?
jesse

Post by jesse »

No changes from the last test version. I know there might have been some outstanding sync issues with the new features.... just had to push it out.
nodonnel

Post by nodonnel »

I love OSC! Glad to see the addition of slregister. I will be donating to your project as soon as I can! Thanks for creating this program!

Nate
taittinger

Post by taittinger »

sorry to bother you over the holidays...i'm running sooperlooper AU in live on mac OS 10.5.8 and i can't get any of the "exclusive" commands to work...basically i'm just looking for the ability to stop operations on the loop i'm on, mute it, switch to another loop, and overdub (rather than record) on the new loop...so "record solo" won't do it..."record or overdub exclusive" sounds as though it will do what i want...but after i do the midi binding nothing happens. i've tried applying it to specific loops or to "all." all the other commands i'm using seem to be working as advertised.

thanks so much for your amazing software, btw! i just donated...i'm switching over to sooperlooper from the edp... julia
jesse

Post by jesse »

Actually, to do what you want I think you would need a new command (not yet implemented), record_or_overdub_exclusive_solo, because the existing _exclusive commands do not mute any loops. As to your problems getting the command to work.... I just gave it a try and they seem to work as advertised for me, using a CC midi binding. They should work with other event types as well.... which are you using?
gtodd876

Post by gtodd876 »

Hey Jesse,
+1 on a record or overdub/ solo command!
taittinger

Post by taittinger »

thanks for getting back to me so quickly! i'm sending cc commands...
i think actually that "record exclusive" might not be quite what i need anyway...i'm trying to figure out how to have one loop running all the time and bring other loops in and out around it in a relatively seamless way. any suggestions for a one-button way to mute (or solo) more than one loop at a time (but not all loops) would be gratefully received.
and...could i impose on your patience with one more tiny question? when i put the feedback at .30 (i'm using a "feedback" binding with target range .3 to 1, data range 0 to 127), rather than getting a smooth fade there are two abrupt volume drops...higher feedback values (around .50) produce a smooth fade, but i'm looking for a quick fade. i've tried it with "use feedback play" both on and off. is .30 just too low a value?
thanks so much for your help!
-julia
jesse

Post by jesse »

You can have multiple bindings using the same midi event, just create several mute or solo bindings, one for each loop you want to control, and use the same midi event. They will all get fired when that single midi event is received.

I think what you interpret as abrupt volume drop is just what a low feedback value does. Basically, it is a fixed gain attenuation that is applied to the signal going back into the loop so every time around the loop the level will be that much less than the iteration before. It is not a continuous "fade-out", you will hear the gain change at each loop iteration.... this is pretty standard delay feedback behavior.
misteralan

Post by misteralan »

Hi Jesse,
I have a question about the OSX Command line utility that is included with the 1.6.14 release.
I double-click the UNIX Exec file and Terminal opens with this:

~ /SL\ Command\ line\ test/slregister ; exit;
Usage: /Users/alanayoub/Desktop/SL Command line test/slregister target_port_# sl_server_port_# [unregister]

Where target_port_# is the OSC port of the server you
wish to receive status updates from SooperLooper
And sl_server_port_# is your SL port (for example use 9951 for the standalone SL, or 10051 for the AU plugin)
logout

[Process completed]

I exported this result as text in order to put in my relevant port numbers but it seems that I am doing something wrong.
This is what I get:

~/Volumes/SooperLooper-1.6.14/slregister ; exit;Usage: /Volumes/SooperLooper-1.6.14/slregister target_port_3334 sl_server_port_10052
Usage: /Volumes/SooperLooper-1.6.14/slregister target_port_# sl_server_port_# [unregister]

Where target_port_# is the OSC port of the server you
wish to receive status updates from SooperLooper
And sl_server_port_# is your SL port (for example use 9951 for the standalone SL, or 10051 for the AU plugin)
logout

[Process completed]

Nothing that I can tell is actually changing regarding SL registering OSC Updates...
AM I using the command line utility correctly?
If I am I can rule that step out of my problems..
Thanks,
AL
p.s. I am trying to get SL to send OSC Updates back to Osculator and ultimately to my Ipodtouch!
jesse

Post by jesse »

You need to either make a script that calls it with the appropriate ports for your setup, or run it from a Terminal. Looks like you want:

slregister 3334 10052

Just numbers as arguments nothing else...
misteralan

Post by misteralan »

Thanks Jesse,
I get it now or at least I used only the text in Terminal that I needed.
I am a professional guitarist and technofile... what is very rudimentary for someone such as yourself is a different language to me.
In any case thanks for the prompt help,
AL
Rontako

Post by Rontako »

I love OSC! Glad to see the addition of slregister. I will be donating to your project as soon as I can! Thanks for creating this program!
Muggsy

Post by Muggsy »

Thanks for creating this program! The "exclusive" fonctions look awesome...