Newbie question about audio input

Describe your looping workflow

Moderator: jesse

Ubute

Newbie question about audio input

Post by Ubute »

Hi Jesse and forum, I'm trying to use Sooperlooper and JackPilot with a 2014 macbook pro running Mavericks. I have an FCB1010 connected through an Edirol UM2 to control the midi signals, and guitars coming in through an ART USB DualPre.

I thought I had it all working, although the sound quality wasn’t very good, but now I’ve discovered that, despite setting up Jack Pilot to route audio signals from my guitar interface to Sooperlooper, all I’m getting is input from the Mac internal microphone. Despite setting System preferences to input and output audio through my interface I still only get the internal microphone in Sooperlooper. (It’s all I get, and if I turn down the internal mic gain in System Prefs, I don’t get anything at all.)

The USB Dual Pre interface works fine with everything else and the Mac is happy to select it when I plug it in. But Sooperlooper stays stubbornly connected to the internal microphone.

I have the feeling there's a simple solution to this, like "did you select X?" but I can't find anything else to try.

Looking forward to playing with this great software

Andrew
Freasy

Re: Newbie question about audio input

Post by Freasy »

Hi Andrew,
I think this is a quite easy one: you have to select your interface in the jack preferences.
In detail:
Start the jack application, don't start the server!
Now you can open the preferences, here you can select your interface.
Start the server.
Now the input and output should be the interface. Unfortunately it is not possible to transmit audio between two soundcards qith jack, at least I didn't find out how.

I hope I could help,
Greetings Jan
Ubute

Post by Ubute »

Thank you, thank you, thank you Jan! It works now, and incidentally the System Prefs Audio selector seems to be irrelevant. I clearly should have come on this forum earlier and avoided all this frustration.

Watch out, Zoe Keating, here I come! (Only kidding, she's a huge inspiration and I'm only beginning.)

Thanks again, Jan.
Freasy

Post by Freasy »

I'm glad I could help :)
Now let us see some results! :mrgreen: