Clicks / Pops work around? Also other questions...

Describe your looping workflow

Moderator: jesse

Anny

Clicks / Pops work around? Also other questions...

Post by Anny »

Hey All,

Very excited about SL and am DYING to be able to transition from using my EDP's into using it solely using SL but there are some issues I'm running into. I've searched the forum re: clicks and pops (when setting a loop and also with multiply) and I'm getting a bunch of them, even with the crossfade substantially higher than 64 and with the buffer at 128. I'm using Ableton 8.1.1 and use no other plug ins. My cpu is in and around 10%. I've read about people reconfiguring their graphics settings etc and wonder if anyone has tried that with any results? Is there any other techniques that are common place?

A couple of other questions:

1) Can you run a mono SL through another SL in the same instance or do you have to, in Live, have 2 SL plug ins back to back? I'm wondering, just as far screen clutter is concerned.

2) When I have a loop and I start tearing it apart by hitting replace a bunch of times, sometimes it will delete the entire loop... I have midi controller assigned as a SUS and am watching the display so it's not like the replace got stuck or anything, sometimes the loop just disappears before I've even gone through 1 cycle. (I have midi patchbay up and assign controls directly to sl, not through Live in case you're wondering)

Soooo close though - I can figure out the pops and clicks and get the whole replace thing figured out SL will be pretty much as stable as my EDPs and that is really exciting. Thanks for reading and thanks again Jesse for your hard work! (Wondering what other updates you're working on - may I suggest being able to see the waveform of the loop and be able to capture fragments inside of the loop in different time increments while being able to to different points of the waveform like you can in Ableton!)

Best,
Anny
Anny

Re: Clicks / Pops work around? Also other questions...

Post by Anny »

Oh and I'm using a Macbook Pro 2.8Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w/ 8GB of ram. The OS X is 10.6.5
Anny

Post by Anny »

No one has had any problems with loops dropping out when repeatedly pressing the replace function? It happens to me everytime if I tap it really fast. When I keep tapping replace SL seems to get overwhelmed and erase the entire loop before I even get through the whole loop. I've tried using different midi controllers, different buffer settings, even reassigning velocity on pads so the note off sends 127 to see if it was the SUS feature, but either way the loop gets erased. Any work arounds would be greatly appreciated.

Re: clicks and pops, still not there yet either. I upgraded to Live 8.2.2 and there's been no change for better or worse. May be a better question is - there anyone on here that has a completely seemless SL set up that rivals the dependability of the EDP hardware?
taittinger

Post by taittinger »

i have been struggling with the click/pop issue ever since i started using sooperlooper, so i'm bumping this, in the hope someone has some help to offer...
Anny

Post by Anny »

I ended up finding a way to reduce clicks and pops by unchecking "Automatically DIsable Compensation when Monitoring Input" in the "Latency/Misc" section in Sooperlooper's preferences. Both my input and output latency is 128 samples. I'm using live 8.2.2 at 44100 sample rate and a buffer of 128 and it works a lot better.
taittinger

Post by taittinger »

thanks, anny! i've played around extensively with the latency settings, but still have a problem with clicks when i go out of overdub mode. if you have any more insights at any point i'd welcome them...
jeremiah

Post by jeremiah »

Hi!

Bumping this.

It seems like the clicks/pops happen in overdub mode when a sound is cut off... like if you just held a note over the record/overdub boundary the end of the phrase will develop a pop each time you do. You would think it has to do with the crossfade settings... It's like a digital word gets cut off and it sounds like an unfaded region, in a DAW or whatever.

Perhaps it's just part of the deal with working in the digital realm. If you do this with a stompbox looper, there is no end of the phrase artifact that happens. Curious if anyone else has thoughts on this...

MBP i7, 8gbRAM, running SL as an AU within Live 8.1.4
jeremiah

Post by jeremiah »

I actually noticed the dropouts with repeated pressings... like if you cut it to half-time and reversed in while in overdub mode, stuff gets weird.
jeremiah

Post by jeremiah »

Are there Weird Stuff consultants?
kasbah

Post by kasbah »

There are definitely a few weird things going on within SL. The basis for a lot of them is that there are state transitions that shouldn't be there, some that won't work and others that won't work quite as expected.

I had started to try and record these a while back but it got very monotonous very quickly. I did manage to make a nice little graph: http://kaspar.h1x.com/sl_with_key.svg

I have started to look into developing some automated tests to keep track of these. It seems feasible, at least for the non-audio related problems and can probably help with fixing these clicks and pops as well.
ZEF

Post by ZEF »

Regarding the dropouts after repeated pressings, have a look at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4497
Increasing loop memory seems to do the trick