getting midi or osc data OUT of SL

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else

Moderator: jesse

zoecello

getting midi or osc data OUT of SL

Post by zoecello »

Hi Jesse,

Well, Live 8 has not dampened my enthusiasm for SooperLooper.

I've got new project where I want to use my live looping inside of Ableton to control video.

I'm wondering if it is possible to get any data output of SooperLooper.

I know I can reroute my midi bindings, so that my basic control messages are sent simultaneously to the video app and to ableton/sooperlooper, but I'm wanting to get a little richer information. For example:

- An indication of when the start (playhead) point is passed as a loop is played (*that's the most important one)
- An indication of how many overdubs (or layers) are in any given loop
- What state a loop is in (i.e. mute or pause - although I realize there are other ways to keep track of this)

Is any of that possible?

Thanks very much!!

Zoe
jesse

Re: getting midi or osc data OUT of SL

Post by jesse »

Yeah, OSC is your ticket to getting this kind of info out of SL. What kind of software would be receiving this info? Is it extensible for this kind of thing (eg Max, etc)? The loop position and state is already available info for getting automatic updates via OSC, the count of layers would be a new feature.

Let me know what your target is, and I can help you set up the OSC connections you need.
zoecello

Post by zoecello »

yup, probably MAX, although I'm mucking in Pure Data right now with my test cases.

Ideally, I'd like SooperLooper to be doing as much of the video controlling as possible, its just a matter of me figuring out what elements of the loops map most effectively to video controls.
zoecello

Post by zoecello »

To answer your question...

Loop position and state is already awesome and I can go from there. What other data about the loops is already available? I would just make do for now with whatever you've got.
jesse

Post by jesse »

Check out the OSC interface at http://essej.net/sooperlooper/doc_osc.html and check out the "Get Parameter Values" section. You can also register for auto-updates for any of these parameters, which is described in the "Register for Control Changes" section.