midi synching with another SL user

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else

Moderator: jesse

joelnewton

midi synching with another SL user

Post by joelnewton »

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and SL in general, so please excuse any cluelessness. I want to do live synched looping with a drummer who is using SL as an Ableton Live plugin (all MacBook Pro-based). We need to be totally midi-synched and I would prefer (for $ and simplicity reasons) to use SL standalone or with a simple/free/cheap host program. Has anyone done this and have suggestions--e.g. SL alone or with Jack or Audacity or some other program, midi synching well with a SL/Abelton Live setup? Or any more general, related comments? I don't know how many people are doing live synched-up situations like this with SL, but I imagine some must be, or at least trying.
Thanks a lot,
Joel
wsirota

Re: midi synching with another SL user

Post by wsirota »

I've been experimenting with this with a partner in crime. Deciding who is to be "syncmaster" can be a little tricky - at first I was, but whenever I'd record a new loop, the tempo would suddenly change, and the auto 8ths were a little unpredictable. Fine for experimental music (which I happily do solo), but not for a late-night artsy young crowd, which we'd like to reach. So Tom, my collaborator, now sends sync from Live to SL (and he loops inside Live8). And, in solo playing, I've been working with Live synced to SL and vice-versa. Don't have *that* much experience with SL as slave yet - it seems to do great when you record a fresh loop synced, but i think it may get a little weird if the master tempo changes. Not too sure about that yet, but that's an avoidable situation in many contexts.

It's an interesting area to explore. any questions i can answer for you?

Warren