have any loop created with custom default parameters

Discuss using the OSC interface to control SL

Moderator: jesse

vichug

have any loop created with custom default parameters

Post by vichug »

hi,
i'm relatively new to SooperLooper and its magic, and have been struggling during the past few days with trying to communicate through OSC with a SL AU plugin.
If i'm trying to do it via OSC, it's because i was unsuccessful trying to do it via AU specific parameters, and i have no clue as to if it's a problem from my host (which is a beta-test maxMSP object, audiounit~) or from SL itself.

Well, the only interesting thing in my question is that i would like to be able to create loops via OSC with default parameters : sync and play sync activated ( sync and playback_sync to non-0), and it might be that i'm just stupid or that i missed some very basic thing, because i don't know how to create a loop with those default parameters activated. I've been thinking about registering or auto-update_registering to something like "new loop added" or "loop count changed" but didn't find such thing in the OSC api, so i was wondering if there is actually a solution...

anyway thanks and grats for the great thing that is SooperLooper.
vichug

Re: have any loop created with custom default parameters

Post by vichug »

and also, can't you check "keep on top" from the audiounit client, as a parameter, or even access it via osc ?
jesse

Post by jesse »

You'll need to set those parameters after the new loop is created. Yes, there is a way to register for new loops having been added, and it is missing from the docs, sorry:

/register s:returl s:retpath

Send the above with your return URL and path as the two string parameters, and whenever a loop is added or removed, SL will send you a /pingack message (described in the docs) which includes the total loopcount, so you can reload state for the loops. An /unregister removes you from the list to get those updates.

As for setting the sync and play_sync controls using OSC, are you having any trouble with that?
vichug

Post by vichug »

Thanks for the magical hidden command :D
and the thing with setting the sync and play_sync controls using OSC is only that i need to set those values after the loop is created, right ? and i want it to be done automatically, for each new loop created via OSC, the problem was that when i tell my host (MaxMSP) to ask for creating a new loop, then automatically set sync and play_sync on, SooperLooper doesn't have the time to create a new loop before it receives the message "set sync"(etc). So the loop is created and won't receive the message.
So if i can register to the total loopcount changes now, i can use that info to trigger the "set sync" to the newly created loop. So it should be all right now, thanks a lot !
vichug

Post by vichug »

hm
now i'm having a rather odd behavior
i first registered to the loopcounter :

Code: Select all

/register osc.udp://localhost:7374 /loopcount
When i create a loop with

/loop_add 2 40.
;

i receive the new count message, then i wait 1000 ms, then i send those osc messages :

/sl/-1/set sync 1
/sl/-1/set playback_sync 1
then, i don't send anything, and after waiting a variable time (500-3000 ms ?), SL resets itself so that all loop now have sync and playback sync to 0, and the engine, too, has "quantize" reset to "off" (the "quantize" parameter i set through OSC to 3, which is loop).

And then i tried with

/sl/#/set sync 1
/sl/#/set playback_sync 1

# being the current loop number indicated by the loopcounter, and i have the same result.
In fact, i realize that each time i create a new loop, it does reset the engine in the way explained above (all loop now have sync and playback sync to 0, and the engine, too, has "quantize" reset to "off").
So i definitely think it is a bug here, parameters set by OSC seem to be not enough deeply recorded ? or the /register command may lead to problems ? anyway i'm quite puzzled...