tap_tempo or loop_pos/loop_len?

Discuss using the OSC interface to control SL

Moderator: jesse

EasyMac

tap_tempo or loop_pos/loop_len?

Post by EasyMac »

If I'm working on an alternate OSC-based MaxMSP controller/interface for SL, and I want to do transport-based time displays, what should I base my timing off of?
(which is most accurate?)

[tap_tempo] for each beat, subdivide based on [tempo]

OR

ROUND( [eighths_per_cycle] * [loop_pos] / [cycle_len] ) for each (half) beat, subdivide based on [tempo]?
jesse

Re: tap_tempo or loop_pos/loop_len?

Post by jesse »

The latter will be the most accurate. I'd definitely be interested to see that when completed!
EasyMac

Re: tap_tempo or loop_pos/loop_len?

Post by EasyMac »

Great. Thanks for the quick reply.

I'll be sure to send the Maxpatch your way when I'm done with it. This is something I've been working on off and on for the past two years, and this is the third time I've restarted from scratch, now in MaxMSP instead of PureData. The program is meant to act as a wrapper and interface for SL for looping and Logic for effects and output (as well as a manager for the MIDI and audio connections between them), with scripting and support for dynamic key-mapping from a homemade footswitch array, all meant to make pre-scripted and improvisational performances as painless and creative as possible.

As I said, this is the third reincarnation of the project, as the previous two attempts became messy, unreliable, and unmanageable over time. I've got a good feeling about it this time.