Sync problems

Report anything that appears to be a bug here.

Moderator: jesse

svictor

Sync problems

Post by svictor »

Hello,
I've been playing around with sooperlooper quite nicely; However I can neither sync to internal nor to midiclock nor to another loop.
I take the first case as an example :
  • I'm on linux ubuntu jaunty, SL 1.6.13.
  • I run "slgui &" from an xterm. The gui opens and spawns a new engine (the terminal says)
  • I select :
    - "sync to" : internal. I then tap a tempo.
    - 8th/cycle : 32
    - quantize : cycle
    - mute, overdub and repl quant selected
    - rel sync selected
    - "sync" and "play sync" selected
  • Then I hit the record button. Recording starts immediately. I hit it again and it stops also on the spot. This is regardless of the duration of the loop and the moment it starts, so the loop is actually not synced.
I tried many combinations of the above settings (with or without "rel sync", with or without "auto 8th", with or without "play sync", etc.). Sometimes, it will work : then recording operations wait for sync, with a message displayed in white. But this is rare and if I start again and press the same buttons it does not work anymore. Sounds like magic huh :cry: ?!

Is there some debug information I can enable. Could there be a communication error between the gui and the engine ?
Blue skyes,
Victor
jesse

Re: Sync problems

Post by jesse »

I've tried to reproduce this, but it all works fine for me. Let's try to narrow down our differences in the runtime and build environment.
I'm running (all a bit out of date):
Gentoo linux, 2.6.24 kernel, 32 bit
gcc version 4.1.1
jackd 0.111.0

I think the most likely candidate is the compiler version and/or architecture. It is possible that some compiler optimization might have done something subtle that prevents the syncing technique I use from working right. Please post your compiler version and architecture for comparison.
svictor

Post by svictor »

Hi Jess,
Thanks for the reply !
I have :
- Ubuntu jaunty 2.6.28-12 kernel 32 bit
- gcc (Ubuntu 4.3.3-5ubuntu4) 4.3.3
- jackd version 0.116.1 tmpdir /dev/shm protocol 2

I built SL again this morning and the first time I ran it it synced. But not the second one (with same settings, after shutting down gui and killing the sooperlooper engine)... It's really weird ! Also the stretch, pitch and rate buttons function erratically. Example :
1. I try to play on pitch or stretch --> no effect (as if not taken into acount by the engine)
2. Then, I play with the "pos" control --> it works (I hear the effect)
3. I then try the pitch button again and this time, it has an effect, but not quite the one expected :
- all sound ceases
- the terminal says : AudioCurve::processDouble: WARNING: Using inefficient and lossy conversion for AudioCurve::process(float)
AudioCurve::processDouble: WARNING: Using inefficient and lossy conversion for AudioCurve::process(float)
jack shut us down
- the gui is still functional but seems to be disconnected from the engine. The "pos" button is still, the "tap" button does not blink anymore and other buttons don't have an effect anymore. The engine itself is still there, but shown as "sleeping" in my process monitor.

I suppose this is linked with librubberband, which I have as version 1.2-1 from ubuntu's repos.

I tried to downgrade sooperlooper to the compiled version in ubuntu jaunty's repos : 1.0.8c. It works like a charm. I can stick to it for the moment, but if you need more feedback/testing on 1.6.13, I'll be glad to help !

Blue skyes (and thanks for the nice soft !),
Victor
jesse

Post by jesse »

I think librubberband might need to be compiled with floating point only (not double)... which means you'd need to build it yourself.

That's really weird about it working the first run, but not later ones! I am at a bit of loss there.