Controller Clip Method

Using SL inside Ableton Live

Moderator: jesse

gtodd876

Controller Clip Method

Post by gtodd876 »

I understand now how to trigger commands in sooperlooper by triggering midi clips in Live that contain midi notes..... but nothing seems to trigger in sync. I would much rather use this method if I could get everything to trigger in sync since you can do multiple SL commands with a single foot press by having multiple notes in a single clip.

I still testing the same set at 52 bpm, 4/4 time signature, 8th/cycle - 8.0, quantize - cycle

When I trigger SL with Live clips instead of directly with my foot controller I understand to turn Midi Monitor to off but still send the midi output to SL.

In my Live clip I have the note G3 on the downbeat of the first measure and note F#3 on the downbeat of the 3rd measure and on the downbeat of the fifth measure another F#3.

In SL I set my midi bindings to note 67 (G3) to record, and note 66 (F#3) to overdub.

Then in Live I set one pedal on my midi controller to trigger the first scene. So in theory when I trigger the scene, it should start recording on the downbeat, then 2 measures later Overdub should end the 'Record', then 2 measures later overdub would be ended.

What actually happens though is that record is trigger but it says 'waiting to sync' till the live clip get to the third measure where overdub is supposed to start then it finally goes into record mode. I have 8ths/cycle set to 8 so there should only be eight 8th notes to a cycle. (one measure)

I hope this makes sense. Anybody have any advice on how to get this method operating in sync??

Thank you in advance for any help,

Todd
jesse

Re: Controller Clip Method

Post by jesse »

In version of SL prior to 1.6.11 you would need to send the midi trigger clips just a little bit *before* the downbeat, then the synchronization will pick them on the downbeat you want. In 1.6.11 I added a notion of sync slop, where it will actually do a retroactive sync if it receives a command a little after a sync point, but it might only apply to trigger right now....

Anyway, try to move your midi clip a tad earlier, if you are sequencing them.

On re-reading, I think you may actually still be using a footpedal to trigger manually.... so in that case just hit the pedal a little earlier than the downbeat.
gtodd876

Re: Controller Clip Method

Post by gtodd876 »

Thanks for all your help so far.

I am sequencing them or at all least that was what I was attempting to do today. I was using the foot controller but just to manually trigger the live clip (or scene) that contains midi notes to send to SL.

I just tried it out by having my midi notes all happen on the fourth beats and it worked perfectly. My first note is on measure one beat four so its actually nice to have a measure to get situated from when I hit the pedal till its showtime:) Then the rest of my commands happen right on time if you just place them on beat four before the measure you want them to kick in.

Another step closer to being able to complete a whole song:)

Todd