Adding SL's parameters to the plugin in Live's device chain?

Using SL inside Ableton Live

Moderator: jesse

throwlaserbolts

Adding SL's parameters to the plugin in Live's device chain?

Post by throwlaserbolts »

Rather than using the key bindings, I would like to use the MIDI and key maps native to Live. As we know, Live can map a key or a MIDI note/cc to any function in the device chain. When using SL as an AU plugin in Live (in the device chain), it gives you the option to click "configure" it says "to add parameters to this panel, click on them in the plugin's window".

When I do this, it will place a random value in the device panel. I can hit "record" several times for instance, while in "configure" mode of the device, and I will get various parameters that are not necessarily "record". Undo, redo, overdub, record... they all pop in the panel by just hitting one parameter.

Suggestions? I'd love to get all the parameters in the panel!
Attachments
Here is a picture of what is happening.  It is not necessarily giving me the parameters I click on.
Here is a picture of what is happening. It is not necessarily giving me the parameters I click on.
Picture 1.png (19.3 KiB) Viewed 20793 times
jesse

Re: Adding SL's parameters to the plugin in Live's device chain?

Post by jesse »

I hadn't seen that feature in Live. I don't know how it finds out what is clicked, but I'm not surprised it doesn't work because SL's GUI is actually a separate application. I'm surprised anything happens at all! To be clear, are you clicking in SL's "real" GUI? Or in the (incomplete) parameter list that live shows you for the plugin?

When I get a chance I will try this out myself.

jlc
throwlaserbolts

You click on parameters in the GUI, and that parameter from the GUI should be generated in the device panel. Initially, it is blank. What is happening is that the parameter that generates in the device panel is NOT what I press in the GUI. I can press the same parameter 6 times while in "configure" mode, and get 6 different parameters in the panel. I would LOVE for this to work properly. It does with most VSTs.. Don't know about AUs.

Thanks for the quick reply!

/justin
throwlaserbolts

Update -

With much trouble and frustration, I managed to get the device panel to represent all the parameters I need (for now). I ended up just pressing different buttons until everything I needed was in the panel. Then, I had to delete all the extras and repeats that are unneeded. There has to be an easier way to do this! I will have to save the track so I can use it in other sets.

I've been digging through sooper looper for about 4 days now, and it's dramatically increased my ability to improvise live. It seems to be the element I was missing. It complements my saxophone madness nicely. I will report back following my next gig (next week), and share my stage thoughts.
jesse

Post by jesse »

What version of Live are you using? In Live 7 (i have the demo version), there is no obvious way to do anything you describe... it just shows the first 100 or so parameters all the time.
throwlaserbolts

Live 8 Suite.