Mpd24/SL and Live 6 set up

Using SL inside Ableton Live

Moderator: jesse

fabila

Mpd24/SL and Live 6 set up

Post by fabila »

HI !
I am totally new to this and I need help to set up my mpd24 with SL in ableton live 6. Is there anyone here who can help me out a little? ;)
jesse

Re: Mpd24/SL and Live 6 set up

Post by jesse »

I assume that the mpd24 sends out MIDI note messages for the pads and CC messages for the sliders by default. I'm not sure where you need help exactly, but here are a few quick tips.

- Add the SL AU plugin to a new audio track in Live.
- Create a new midi track and have it get its input from your MPD24
- Set the output for that midi track to go to the SL plugin on the audio track (it will show up in the menus when you set the output)
- Set the monitoring to be 'In' on both the midi and the audio track.

Now SL will be able to see the midi events coming from your MPD. You can set up midi bindings from the SL GUI in two ways:
The easiest by right-clicking (or ctrl-click) on the control you want to bind, selecting the Learn MIDI from the popup menu, then sending the event you want to bind with. for simple bindings for command buttons and controls this may be all you need. If you need more control over the binding (like making it bind to the selected loop, vs a specific loop, or to a command that doesn't have a button) do it from the MIDI bindings tab in the Preferences for the SL GUI.

When you save your set in Live, all the bindings for SL will be saved along with it. So once you get the setup you need, keep that Live Set around as a template to create new ones later from.
fabila

Re: Mpd24/SL and Live 6 set up

Post by fabila »

Hi! Thanks for the reply! I was away for quite time now. That´s why I write now :D . Now, the next question. How do I play a sound file atfer this on my MPD24 ?